Enumerados

Enumerados (Numbered) is, by far, the largest project that we faced at Unkasoft. It is a multiplayer board game which goal is to build simple (+ and -) arithmetical operations by crossing your given chips with the ones that are already on the board (like Scrabble but with numbers).

From the technical point of view it involved three different developments: a backend and two native (iOS and Android) frontends. Particularly I have fully developed the backend where I were almost fully dedicated during the last two years. Lots of iterations, changes, migrations and new features were required to get the final 3.7.1 version.

The backend is fully built using Ruby on Rails, starting at version 3.1 and finishing at 3.2.13. All the infrastructure was held at Heroku where it was using 4 web dynos as average, one single worker dyno and another plugins such as AdeptScale, PGBackups, Scheduler, New Relic, Blitz, RedisToGo and a Crane PostgreSQL Database.

The communication with mobile clients is done through a HTTP REST JSON API and, due to the required evolution on the whole project, the server ended up serving 3 different API versions concurrently.

By far, the most interesting and time consuming part of the development has been the optimisation, at all levels:

  • Database: Mainly using New Relic and Posgres ‘explain analyze‘ command I designed structure modifications, queries optimisations, PL/pgSQL procedures, etc…
  • Application: Again New Relic had a key role in helping spotting the worst performing transactions and bottlenecks along with profiling and benchmarking tests execution in my local development machine and also using Heroku Blitz add-on for load testing. At this level I implemented asynchronous query handling, background pre calculations, cache-based (sync and async) solutions where possible and some algorithms and data structures optimisation. Also improved database usage.
  • API and communication with mobile frontends: At this point, using users feedback and data provided by Google Analytics and New Relic native mobiles plugin we improved the communication layer by modifying (merging/splitting) queries, background preloading some other queries, etc…

Another thing that I am very proud of is the result of the push notifications feature evolution. At the very beginning I started using two different rails gems, one for Apple and for Google integration the other. I decided to go for third party open source gems mainly because I guessed that it would take me longer to develop, test and stabilise a new one from scratch. But after a while using them I started finding bugs and missing features that were important for us, so I began developing a new Rails Push Notifications Gem from scratch that, after some time I open sourced at my Github profile.

Going back to the game itself, here you can find the download links:

Also, here you can see some screenshots on the game.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s